For use with SPAMfighter Exchange Module a cusom toolbar for Microsoft Exchange OWA 2003 – 2016 was required. The purpose of this toolbar is to assist normal users to block or unblock e-mails.
Microsoft Exchange OWA is the mail server’s web based interface for mailboxes (i.e. webmail) and is a proprietary solution without any public API’s that could fulfill the requirements for the custom toolbar.
Because of the lack of a public API, and the fact that each Exchange version, and update to said versions, combined with differences introduced by Windows operating system changed how the system worked – development of the toolbar had a number of challenges. The solution was to reverse enginer the inner workings of the Exchange OWA applications and develop a generalized system for the toolbar that could accomplish the following tasks:
- Inject a toolbar into an existing Exchange OWA application
- Intercept calls to internal functions in an Exchange OWA application
- On-the-fly modification of communication protocol used by an Exchange OWA application
- Handle differences introduced by various operating systems and web servers
.NET/C# developer on a ASP.NET based plugin for Microsoft Exchange web e-mail system (Exchange OWA).
It was the consultant’s role to design and develop the system.
The system was developed using C#, ASP.NET, C++, COM+, ISAPI and jQuery where the system hooks into the Internet Information Service (IIS) and at runtime injects a toolbar into the Exchange OWA web based system when browsers requests certain pages / resources.
My responsibilities were:
- Integrate the product with all versions of Exchange.
- Analyze and identify ways to inject toolbar into Exchange OWA.
- Interface and reverse engineer legacy code, this required extensive analysis and understanding of old proprietary code.
- Develop custom web based toolbar for Exchange.
My roles in the project were:
- System Development
- System Design
- Web Development
- Frontend Development.
Technologies used in project were:
- Microsoft Exchange